TE-5170 TSP MFC 18 Operations Manual
Proceed with the following steps to begin the calibration:
1. Disconnect the sampler motor from the mass flow controller and connect the
motor to a stable AC power source.
2. Mount the calibrator orifice and top loading adapter plate to the sampler. A
sampling filter is generally not used during this procedure. Tighten the top loading
adapter hold down nuts securely to ensure that no air leaks are present.
3. Allow the sampler motor to warm up to its normal operating temperature
(approximately 10-15 minutes).
4. Conduct a leak test by covering the hole(s) on top of the orifice and pressure tap on
the orifice with your hands. Listen for a high-pitched squealing sound made by
escaping air. If this sound is heard, a leak is present and the top loading adapter
hold-down nuts need to be re-tightened. If the sound is lower, the leak is near one
of the other gaskets in the system. Avoid running the sampler for longer than
30 seconds at a time with the orifice blocked to avoid overheating the motor.
Do not perform this leak test procedure with a manometer connected to the side
tap on the calibration orifice or the blower motor. Liquid from the manometer
could be drawn into the system and cause motor damage.
5. Connect one side of a water manometer to the pressure tap on the side of the
orifice with a rubber vacuum tube. Leave the opposite side of the manometer open
to the atmosphere. Note: Both valves on the manometer have to be open for the
liquid to flow freely. One side of the 'U' tube goes up the other goes down; add
together for the "H2O reading.
6. A manometer must be held vertically to ensure accurate readings. Tapping the
backside of the continuous flow recorder will help to center the pen and provide
accurate readings. When using a variable orifice (TE-5028A), five flow rates are
achieved in this step by adjusting the knob on the variable orifice to five different
positions and taking five different readings.
7. Record the ambient air temperature, the ambient barometric pressure, the sampler
serial number, the orifice s/n, the orifice slope and intercept with date last
certified, todays date, site location and the operators initials on the attached blank