TE-5000 TSP 16 Operations Manual
Visit, www-tisch-env.com/calibration-worksheets, to download calibration
worksheets. The calibration worksheets allow the user to input the data and
automatically make the calculations. The manual calculation method is
described in the following sections for your reference, however, it is highly
recommended to download the calibration worksheets.
Proceed with the following steps to begin the calibration:
1. Disconnect the sampler motor from the variac (TE-5010) and connect the motor
to a stable AC power source.
2. Mount the top loading adapter plate (TE-5035) on top of filter holder and tighten
the hold down nuts securely to assure that no air leaks are present. Screw the
calibration orifice (make sure the TE-5028A is wide open by turning black knob
counter-clockwise) on to the top loading adapter plate. A sampling filter is
generally not used during this procedure.
3. Allow the sampler motor to warm up to its normal operating temperature.
4. Conduct a leak test by covering the holes on top of the orifice and pressure tap.
Listen for a high-pitched squealing sound made by escaping air. If this sound is
heard, a leak is present and the top loading adapter hold-down nuts need to be
Avoid running the sampler for longer than 30 seconds at a time with the
orifice blocked. This will reduce the chance of the motor overheating. Also,
never try this leak test procedure with a manometer connected to the side tap on
the calibration orifice. Liquid from the manometer could be drawn into the
system and cause motor damage.
5. Connect one side of a water manometer or other type of flow measurement
device to the pressure tap on the side of the orifice with a rubber vacuum tube.
Leave the opposite side of the manometer open to the atmosphere.