Set Up a USB Storage Device on a Mac
We recommend that you use a new USB storage device or format your old USB storage device to do the
Time Machine backup for the first time. Use a blank partition to prevent some issues during backup using
Time Machine. The modem router supports GUID or MBR partitions.
To format your USB storage device and specify partitions:
1. Connect the USB storage device to your Mac.
2. If your USB device uses a power supply, connect it.
You must use the power supply when you connect the USB device to the Mac.
3. On your Mac, go to Spotlight (or the magnifying glass) at the top right of the page and search for Disk
4. Open the Disk Utility, select your USB device, click the Erase tab, and click the Erase button.
5. Click the Partition tab.
6. In the Partition Layout menu, set the number of partitions that you want to use.
7. Click the Options button.
The Partition schemes display.
8. Select the GUID Partition Table or Master Boot Record radio button.
9. In the Format menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
10. Click the OK button.
11. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.
Prepare to Back Up a Large Amount of Data
Before you back up a large amount of data with Time Machine, we recommend that you follow this procedure.
To prepare to back up a large amount of data:
1. Upgrade the operating system of the Mac computer.
2. Verify and repair the backup disk and the local disk.
3. Verify and repair the permissions on the local disk.
4. Set Energy Saver by doing the following:
a. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
The System Preferences page displays.
b. From the View menu, select Energy Saver.
The Energy Saver page displays.
c. Click the Power Adapter tab.
Share a Storage Device
Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7000v2