Make sure that your ADSL or VDSL service is active before you install the modem router.You need the
following information to install your DSL modem and connect to the Internet:
•DSL user name and password.This information is included in the welcome letter that your DSL Internet
service provider (ISP) sent you when you signed up for your service. Record your DSL Internet service
account user name and password.
•Your telephone number or DSL account number. If you do not use voice service, you can use your
DSL account number in place of a phone number.
If you do not know or cannot locate your DSL user name and password, call your DSL ISP. Be specific when
speaking with your DSL ISP. For example, you could say, “I need my DSL service user name and password.
Can you help me?”
If your provider says that they do not support NETGEAR services, tell them that you
need only your DSL user name and password. You do not need support.
Cable the Modem Router for DSL Service and Access the
The following figure shows the cabling of your modem router for DSL service.
Figure 6. Modem router cabling for DSL service
To connect your modem router to a DSL service:
1. Unplug your DSL modem’s power, leaving the DSL modem connected to the wall jack for your Internet
2. If your DSL modem includes a battery backup, remove the battery.
3. Install an ADSL or DSL microfilter between the phone line and the phone.
The product package contains either an ADSL or DSL microfilter.
4. Use a phone cable to connect the microfilter to the gray DSL port on the modem router.
The product package contains a phone cable.
5. If your DSL modem includes a battery backup, reinsert the battery.
6. Plug in your DSL modem's power and turn on your DSL modem.
Install and Access the Modem Router and Its Network
Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7000v2