When the modem router connects to the Internet, you are prompted to download and install the free NETGEAR
Desktop genie app and the free ReadySHARE Vault app.
Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service
You can install your modem router for cable or fiber (Ethernet WAN) service or for DSL service. If you use
a cable or fiber modem, follow the procedure that is described in this section. If you use a DSL modem,
follow the procedure that is described in Cable the Modem Router for DSL Service and Access the Modem
Router on page 22.
The following figure shows the cabling of your modem router for cable or fiber service.
Figure 7. Modem router cabling for cable or fiber service
To connect your modem router to a cable or fiber service:
1. Unplug your cable or fiber modem’s power, leaving the modem connected to the wall jack for your
2. If your cable or fiber modem includes a battery backup, remove the battery.
3. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the cable or fiber modem to the red Internet port on the modem router.
4. If your cable or fiber modem includes a battery backup, reinsert the battery.
5. Plug in and turn on your cable or fiber modem.
6. Connect the power adapter to the modem router and plug it into an electrical outlet.
Wait for the Power LED to light solid white, which takes about two minutes.
7. If the Power LED does not light, press the Power On/Off button.
Wait for the WiFi LED to light solid white.
8. If the WiFi LED does not light, press the WiFi On/Off button.
9. Connect a computer to the modem router by one of the following methods:
•Ethernet cable. Use an Ethernet cable to connect your computer to a yellow Ethernet LAN port on
the modem router.
The product package contains a yellow Ethernet cable.
Your computer connects to the modem router’s LAN.
•WiFi. Connect to the default WiFi network of the modem router:
Install and Access the Modem Router and Its Network
Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7000v2