Note: The following instructions might be different depending on the macOS your
computer is using. For more instructions about backing up your computer with Time
Machine, see the Apple support site.
Set Up a USB Hard Drive on a Mac
We recommend that you use a new USB HDD or format your old USB HDD to do the
Time Machine backup for the first time. Use a blank partition to prevent some issues
during backup using Time Machine. The router supports GUID or MBR partitions.
To format your USB hard disk drive and specify partitions:
1. Physically connect the USB HDD to your router.
2. If your USB HDD uses a power supply, connect it.
You must use the power supply when you connect the USB HDD to the router.
When you connect the USB HDD to the router’s port, it might take up to two minutes
before it is ready for sharing. By default, the USB HDD is available to all computers
on your local area network (LAN).
3. On your Mac, go to Spotlight (or the magnifying glass) at the top right of the page
and search for Disk Utility.
4. Open the Disk Utility, select your USB HDD, click the Erase tab, and click the Erase
5. Click the Partition tab.
6. In the Partition Layout menu, set the number of partitions that you want to use.
7. Click the Options button.
The Partition schemes display.
8. Select the GUID Partition Table or Master Boot Record radio button.
9. In the Format menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
10. Click the OK button.
11. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.
User Manual122Share USB Storage Devices
Attached to the Router
Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router