NETGEAR RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless Router WNR834B User Manual
6-10 Using Network Monitoring Tools
v2.1, July 2007
If the router discovers a newer version of software, the message on the left will appear when you
log in. If no new firmware is available, the message on the right will appear.
To automatically upgrade to the new software, click Yes to allow the router to download and install
the new software file from NETGEAR.
When the upload is complete, your router will automatically restart. The upgrade process typically
takes about one minute. Read the new software release notes to determine whether you must
reconfigure the router after upgrading.
Upgrading Manually to New Router Software
To manually select, download, and install new software to your router, follow these steps:
1. Under the Maintenance menu on your router interface, select Router Status. Note the version
number of your router firmware.
2. Go to the WNR834B support page on the NETGEAR website at
3. Check the most recent firmware version offered against the firmware version shown on your
Router Status menu.
4. If the version on the NETGEAR website is more recent, download the file to your computer.
5. Under the Maintenance menu on your router interface, select Router Upgrade.
6. Click Browse and locate the firmware image that you downloaded to your PC (the file will end
in .img or .chk).
Warning: When uploading software to the WNR834B router, do not interrupt the Web
browser by closing the window, clicking a link, or loading a new page. If the
browser is interrupted, it could corrupt the software.