NETGEAR RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless Router WNR834B User Manual
v2.1, July 2007
• Make sure that the Ethernet cable connections are secure at the router and at the modem or
• Make sure that power is turned on to the connected modem or computer.
• Be sure you are using the correct cable:
When connecting the router’s Internet port to a cable or DSL modem, use the cable that was
supplied with the cable or DSL modem. This cable could be a standard straight-through
Ethernet cable or an Ethernet crossover cable.
The Wireless light is not lit.
If the Wireless light does not come on, verify that the wireless feature is turned on according to the
instructions in “Turning Off the Broadcast of Your Wireless Network Name” on page 2-10.
Troubleshooting the Web Configuration Interface
If you are unable to access the router’s Web Configuration interface from a computer on your local
network, check the following:
• If you are connecting from a wireless computer, try connecting from a wired computer.
• Check the Ethernet connection between the wired computer and the router as described in
“Troubleshooting Basic Functions” on page 7-2.
• Make sure your computer’s IP address is on the same subnet as the router. For instructions, see
“Preparing a Computer for Network Access” in Appendix B to configure your computer.
Explorer, click Refresh to be sure the Java applet is loaded.
• Try quitting the browser and launching it again, or try a different browser.
• Make sure you are using the correct login information. The factory default login name is
admin and the password is password. Make sure that CAPS LOCK is off when entering
Note: If your computer’s IP address is shown as 169.254.x.x: Windows and Mac OS
will generate and assign an IP address if the computer cannot reach a DHCP
server. These auto-generated addresses are in subnet 169.254.x.x. If your IP
address is in this range, check the connection from the computer to the router
and reboot your computer.