NETGEAR RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless Router WNR834B User Manual
v2.1, July 2007
• Check that your computer has the IP address of your router listed as the default gateway. If the
IP configuration of your computer is assigned by DHCP, this information will not be visible in
your computer’s Network Control Panel. Verify that the IP address of the router is listed as the
default gateway as described in “Preparing a Computer for Network Access” in Appendix B.
• Check to see that the network address of your computer (the portion of the IP address specified
by the subnet mask) is different from the network address of the remote device.
• Check that your cable or DSL modem is connected and functioning.
• If your ISP assigned a host name to your computer, enter that host name as the Account Name
in the Basic Settings menu.
• Your ISP could be rejecting the Ethernet MAC addresses of all but one of your computers.
Many broadband ISPs restrict access by only allowing traffic from the MAC address of your
broadband modem, but some ISPs additionally restrict access to the MAC address of a single
computer connected to that modem. If this is the case, you must configure your router to
“clone” or “spoof” the MAC address from the authorized computer. For more information, see
“Configuring Your Internet Connection Using the Smart Setup Wizard” on page 1-5.
Problems with Date and Time
The Email menu in the Content Filtering section displays the current date and time of day. The
WNR834B router uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) to obtain the current time from one of
several Network Time Servers on the Internet. Each entry in the log is stamped with the date and
time of day. Problems with the date and time function can include:
• Date shown is January 1, 2000.
Cause: The router has not yet successfully reached a Network Time Server. Check that your
Internet access settings are configured correctly. If you have just completed configuring the
router, wait at least five minutes and check the date and time again.
• Time is off by one hour.
Cause: The router does not adjust for Daylight Savings Time. In the Email menu, check the
box marked “Adjust for Daylight Savings Time”.