NETGEAR RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless Router WNR834B User Manual
Safeguarding Your Network 2-13
v2.1, July 2007
4. If the desired computer appears in the Available Wireless Cards list, you can click the radio
button of that computer to capture its MAC address; otherwise, you can manually enter a name
and the MAC address of the authorized computer. You can usually find the MAC address on
the bottom of the wireless device.
5. Click Add to add this wireless device to the Wireless Card Access List. The screen changes
back to the list screen.
6. Repeat step 3 through step 5 for each additional device you want to add to the list.
7. Select the checkbox to Turn Access Control On..
8. Click Apply to save your Wireless Card Access List settings.
Now, only devices on this list are allowed to wirelessly connect to the WNR834B.
Tip: You can copy and paste the MAC addresses from the router’s Attached Devices
menu into the MAC Address box of this menu. To do this, configure each
wireless computer to obtain a wireless link to the router. The computer should
then appear in the Attached Devices menu.
Note: When configuring the router from a wireless computer whose MAC address is
not in the Trusted PC list, if you select Turn Access Control On, you will lose
your wireless connection when you click Apply. You must then access the
wireless router from a wired computer or from a wireless computer which is on
the access control list to make any further changes.
Warning: MAC address filtering adds an obstacle against unwanted access to your
network by the general public. However, because your trusted MAC
addresses appear in your wireless transmissions, an intruder can read them
and impersonate them. Do not rely on MAC address filtering alone to secure