NETGEAR RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless Router WNR834B User Manual
Fine-Tuning Your Network 5-21
v2.1, July 2007
If you suspect an MTU problem, a common solution is to change the MTU to 1400. If you are
willing to experiment, you can gradually reduce the MTU from the maximum value of 1500 until
the problem goes away. Table 5-1 describes common MTU sizes and applications.
To change the MTU size:
1. In the Advanced section of the main menu, click WAN Setup.
2. Under MTU Size, enter a new size between 64 and 1500.
3. Click Apply to save the new configuration.
Optimizing Your Network Bandwidth
As your network grows, it may consist of several segments of different networking technologies,
each providing different throughput. In planning your network, you should first consider which
devices will have the heaviest traffic flow between them. Examples are:
• A media center in one room streaming high-definition video from a server in another room
• A storage device that is used for backing up your computers
Table 5-1. Common MTU Sizes
1500 The largest Ethernet packet size and the default value. This is the typical setting for non-
PPPoE, non-VPN connections, and is the default value for NETGEAR routers, adapters,
1492 Used in PPPoE environments.
1472 Maximum size to use for pinging. (Larger packets are fragmented.)
1468 Used in some DHCP environments.
1460 Usable by AOL if you don't have large email attachments, for example.
1436 Used in PPTP environments or with VPN.
1400 Maximum size for AOL DSL.
576 Typical value to connect to dial-up ISPs.