Manage Port Forwarding and Port Triggering
N600 and AC750 WiFi DSL Modem Routers
The following sequence shows the effects of this port triggering rule:
1. You open an IRC client program to start a chat session on your computer.
2. Your IRC client composes a request message to an IRC server using a destination port
number of 6667, the standard port number for an IRC server process. Your computer then
sends this request message to your modem router.
3. Your modem router creates an entry in its internal session table describing this
communication session between your computer and the IRC server. Your modem router
stores the original information, performs Network Address Translation (NAT) on the source
address and port, and sends this request message through the Internet to the IRC server.
4. Noting your port triggering rule and observing the destination port number of 6667, your
modem router creates another session entry to send any incoming port 113 traffic to your
5. The IRC server sends a return message to your modem router using the NAT-assigned
source port (for example, port 33333) as the destination port and the IRC server also sends
an “identify” message to your modem router with destination port 113.
6. When your modem router receives the incoming message to destination port 33333, it
checks its session table to see if a session is active for port number 33333. Finding an active
session, the modem router restores the original address information replaced by NAT and
sends this reply message to your computer.
7. When your modem router receives the incoming message to destination port 113, it checks
its session table and finds an active session for port 113 associated with your computer. The
modem router replaces the message’s destination IP address with your computer’s IP
address and forwards the message to your computer.
8. When you finish your chat session, your modem router eventually senses a period of
inactivity in the communications. The modem router then removes the session information
from its session table, and incoming traffic is no longer accepted on port numbers 33333 or