Use VPN to Access Your Network
N600 WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Specify VPN Service in the Router
You must specify the VPN service settings in the router before you can use a VPN
To specify the VPN service:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the
2. Type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.
A login screen displays.
3. Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and
password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home screen displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > VPN Service.
The VPN Service screen displays.
5. Select the Enable VPN Service check box.
By default, the VPN uses the UDP service type and uses port 12974. If you want to
customize the service type and port, NETGEAR recommends that you change these
settings before you install the OpenVPN software.
6. To change the service type, scroll down and select the TCP radio button.
7. To change the port, scroll down to the Service Port field, and type the port number that you
want to use.
8. Click the Apply button.
Your changes are saved. VPN is enabled in the router, but you must install and set up
OpenVPN software on your computer before you can use a VPN connection.
Install OpenVPN Software on Your Computer
You must install this software on each computer that you plan to use for VPN connections to
To install VPN client software:
1. Visit http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html.
2. In the Windows Installer section of the screen, double-click the
3. Download the file.