Specify Your Internet Settings
N600 WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
To change the MTU size:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the
2. Type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.
A login screen displays.
3. Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and
password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home screen displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup.
5. In the MTU Size field, enter a value from 64 to 1500.
6. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.
If you suspect an MTU problem, a common solution is to change the MTU to 1400. If you are
willing to experiment, you can gradually reduce the MTU from the maximum value of 1500
until the problem goes away. The following table describes common MTU sizes and
Table 2. Common MTU sizes
1500 The largest Ethernet packet size. This setting is typical for connections that do not use
PPPoE or VPN and is the default value for NETGEAR routers, adapters, and switches.
1492 Used in PPPoE environments.
1472 Maximum size to use for pinging. (Larger packets are fragmented.)
1468 Used in some DHCP environments.