Share a Storage Device Attached to the Router
N600 WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
To back up your Windows computer:
1. Connect a USB HDD to the router USB port.
2. Download ReadySHARE Vault from www.netgear.com/readyshare and install it on each
3. Launch ReadySHARE Vault.
4. Use the dashboard or the Backup tab to set up and run your backup.
Back Up Mac Computers with Time Machine
You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard drive that is
connected to the router USB port. You can access the connected storage device from your
Mac with a wired or wireless connection to your router.
Set Up a USB Hard Drive on a Mac
NETGEAR recommends that you use a new USB HDD or format your old USB disk to do the
Time Machine backup for the first time. Use a blank partition to prevent some issues during
backup using Time Machine. The router supports GUID or MBR partitions.
To format your USB hard disk drive and specify partitions:
1. Physically connect the USB hard drive to your Mac.
2. On your Mac, go to Spotlight (or the magnifying glass) at the top right of the screen and
search for Disk Utility.
3. To format your USB device, open the Disk Utility, click the Erase tab, and click the Erase
4. Click the Partition tab.
5. Click Partition Layout and set the number of partitions that you want to use.
6. Click the Options button.
The Partition options display.
7. Select the GUID Partition Table or Master Boot Record radio button.
8. For the format, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
9. Click the OK button.
10. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.