Use VPN to Access Your Network
AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D6400
By default, the VPN uses the UDP service type and uses port 12974. If you want to
customize the service type and port, NETGEAR recommends that you change these
settings before you install the OpenVPN software.
7. To change the service type, scroll down and select the TCP radio button.
8. To change the port, scroll down to the Service Port field, and type the port number that you
want to use.
Note: For information about configuring the type of access, see Use VPN to
Access Your Internet Service at Home on page 253.
9. Click the Apply button.
Your changes are saved. VPN is enabled in the modem router, but you must install and
set up OpenVPN software on your computer before you can use a VPN connection (see
Install OpenVPN Software on Your Computer on page 249).
Install OpenVPN Software on Your Computer
You must install this software on each computer that you plan to use for VPN connections to
your modem router.
To install VPN client software:
1. Visit openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html.
2. In the Windows Installer section of the page, double-click the
3. Download the file.
4. To install the Open VPN software on your computer, click the
5. Click the Next button.
6. Read the License Agreement and click the I Agree button.