Install and Access the Modem Router and Its Network
AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D6400
To connect your modem router to a cable or fiber service:
1. Unplug your cable or fiber modem’s power, leaving the modem connected to the wall
jack for your Internet service.
2. If your cable or fiber modem includes a battery backup, remove the battery.
3. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the cable or fiber modem to the red Internet port on the
4. If your cable or fiber modem includes a battery backup, reinsert the battery.
5. Plug in and turn on your cable or fiber modem.
6. Connect the power adapter to the modem router and plug it into an electrical outlet.
Wait for the Power LED to light solid green, which takes about one minute.
7. If the Power LED does not light, press the Power On/Off button.
8. Wait for the WiFi LED to light blue.
If the WiFi LED does not light, press the WiFi On/Off button .
9. Connect a computer to the modem router by one of the following methods:
•Ethernet cable. Use an Ethernet cable to connect your computer to a yellow Ethernet
LAN port on the modem router.
The product package contains a yellow Ethernet cable.
Your computer connects to the modem router’s LAN.
•WiFi. Connect to the default WiFi network of the modem router:
a. On your computer or WiFi device, find and select the WiFi network.
The WiFi network name (SSID) is on the product label.
b. Join the WiFi network and enter the WiFi password.
The password (network key) is on the product label.
Your computer or WiFi device connects to the modem router’s WiFi network.
Note: If the computer is set to a static (fixed) IP address (this setting is
uncommon), either change the computer to obtain an IP address
automatically from the modem router through DHCP, or change the IP
address of the computer to a static IP address in the
10. Launch a web browser.
The Configuring the Internet Connection page displays.