44 WatchGuard System Manager
Consolidating log files
You can put together two or more log files into one file. You can then use this file in Historical Reports,
LogViewer, or some other tool to examine log data for an extended time interval. To merge more than
one log file into one file:
• The log files must be from the same Firebox
• The log messages in the files must be in date and time order
• The log files must be have been created with the same appliance software. You cannot merge a log
file created with WFS appliance software with a log file created with Fireware appliance software,
even if they are from the same Firebox.
Right-click the Log Server icon on your Windows toolbar and select Merge Log Files. Or, from the Log
Server Status/Configuration interface:
1Click File > Merge log files.
The Merge Logfiles dialog box appears.
2Click Browse to find the files to put together.
The log files are put together and saved to a new file in the specified directory.
Updating .wgl log files to .xml format
When you migrate from an earlier version of WatchGuard System Manager to WSM 8.0 you can convert
log files from .wgl to .xml format. This is also helpful if you manage a mixed network with different ver-
sions of WSM. After converting, you can use your WSM 8.0 LogViewer or report tools on log files created
with WatchGuard Management System 7.3 or earlier.
When you convert a log file from .wgl to .xml:
• The XML file is usually smaller than the .wgl file. This is because XML log records are variable in
• If you open the new XML file in an XML editor, you can see some duplicate entries. This is a
function of the way Historical Reports made reports in WSM 7.3 and earlier. It does not cause
problems in LogViewer or in Historical Reports for WSM 8.0.