Upgrade to Fireware v12.5 Update 1
Release Notes 13
Back Up Your WatchGuard Servers
It is not usually necessary to uninstall your previous v11.x or v12.x server or client software when you upgrade
to WSM v12.x. You can install the v12.x server and client software on top of your existing installation to
upgrade your WatchGuard software components. We do, however, strongly recommend that you back up your
WatchGuard Servers (for example, your WatchGuard Management Server) to a safe location before you
upgrade. You will need these backup files if you ever want to downgrade.
You cannot restore a WatchGuard Server backup file created with WatchGuard System
Manager v12.x to to a v11.x installation. Make sure to retain your older server backup files
when you upgrade to v12.0 or later in case you want to downgrade in the future.
To back up your Management Server configuration, from the computer where you installed the Management
1. From WatchGuard Server Center, select Backup/Restore Management Server.
The WatchGuard Server Center Backup/Restore Wizard starts.
2. Click Next.
The Select an action screen appears.
3. Select Back up settings.
4. Click Next.
The Specify a backup file screen appears.
5. Click Browse to select a location for the backup file. Make sure you save the configuration file to a
location you can access later to restore the configuration.
6. Click Next.
The WatchGuard Server Center Backup/Restore Wizard is complete screen appears.
7. Click Finish to exit the wizard.
Upgrade to Fireware v12.5 Update 1 from Web UI
If your Firebox is running Fireware v11.10 or later, you can upgrade the Fireware OS on your Firebox
automatically from the System > Upgrade OS page. If your Firebox is running v11.9.x or earlier, use these
steps to upgrade:
1. Before you begin, save a local copy of your configuration file.
2. Go to System > Backup Image or use the USB Backup feature to back up your current device image.
3. On your management computer, launch the OS software file you downloaded from the WatchGuard
Software Downloads page.
If you use the Windows-based installer on a computer with a Windows 64-bit operating system, this
installation extracts an upgrade file called [product-group].sysa-dl to the default location of C:\Program
On a computer with a Windows 32-bit operating system, the path is: C:\Program Files\Common
4. Connect to your Firebox with the Web UI and select System > Upgrade OS.
5. Browse to the location of the [product-group].sysa-dl from Step 2 and click Upgrade.
If you have installed another release of this OSversion on your computer, you must run the installer twice (once
to remove the previous release and again to install this release).