34 Planning and Installation Guide ShoreTel IP Phone 930D
Installation Performing a Site Survey to Confirm Coverage
2. Perform a factory reset of the repeater.
Press and hold the reset button on the repeater for about 3 seconds until the LED turns solid red,
then release the button. Wait for the green LED to start double flashing.
Within one minute the repeater should register with the base and the green LED should turn green
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the remaining repeaters associated with this base. Be sure registration is
enabled on only one base at a time so that you register repeaters and handsets to the intended
4. When you have finished registering all repeaters, disable Handset Registration from the Base
Security page of ShoreTel IP930D Manager and save the settings.
Performing a Site Survey to Confirm Coverage
After temporarily locating one base and its repeaters at the locations specified in the installation plan,
perform a site survey to check coverage.
Follow these steps:
1. Turn on one of the handsets registered to the base and make sure it powers up and shows the idle
2. Open ShoreTel IP930D Manager for the base.
a. From a PC on the same subnet as the base, enter the following:
http://sd_<MAC address of base>
If this step fails, see Cannot log into a base with ShoreTel IP930D Manager on page 84.
b. Enter “admin” for the login ID and the last four digits or characters of the base MAC address
for the password.
3. Go to the Manage Bases page and scroll to the “Repeater reported RSSI Information (dBm)” table
at the bottom of the page.
4. Look for RSSI values highlighted in red. A red highlighted value indicates a repeater that is
receiving an insufficient signal (-75 dBm or a greater negative number) from its upstream device
and must be moved closer. It may take up to 15 minutes after you move a repeater for its signal to
See the Understanding Repeater RSSI Levels on page 35 for more information on interpreting the
5. Enter the site survey mode on one of the handsets by pushing the Menu button for more than 3
seconds (the Settings menu appears), then typing *service* (*7378423*) on the key pad.